Walk in the park, look at the sky: collected thoughts, processes and observations made during the course of making things
- Leap Motion
- Plain Text
Follow this blog using RSS
- 31.12.18 Lynne Ramsey talks about making You Were Never Really Here
I love Lynne Ramsey's work and this is a great interview about the process of making the incredible You Were Never Really Here.
- 09.05.18 Brian Eno: Stop Being Frightened
I loved every moment of this.
- 10.04.18 Brian Eno on co-operative intelligence and not getting a job
- 03.06.15 Inspiration: Jonathan Glazer talks about Under The Skin
Sometimes when you see things you know it's going to have an effect on you for a long time. I felt that way after seeing Under The Skin.…
- 12.10.14 Aaron Draplin - The Art of the Side Hustle Pt 1
I've been lucky enough to spend some time with Draplin and even once commissioned him to create the identity for the now defunct Red Pop. I…
- 12.10.14 Interview with Mike and Maaike
Great little interview from Design Milk with two of my favourite industrial designers, Mike and Maaike. Their work always has beautifully…
- 18.08.14 Hello, I am Erik—The German Letterman
"There is no delete, there is no return". From Gestalten, great video on Erik Spiekermann and going back to touching things, even…
- 16.08.14 John Whitney on The Screening Room
Computer graphics pioneer John Whitney on the harmonic similarities between graphics and music.
- 15.08.14 Kakimori Stationery Shop
Physically writing makes for a richer experience.
- 15.08.14 User Friendly Paul Rand
"I don’t think that play is done unwittingly... at any rate, one doesn’t dwell over whether it’s play or something more serious — one just do…
- 14.08.14 Yves Béhar : Why Designers Should Be In Love With The Process
Look at one thing, see another.
- 13.08.14 Regards Mr. Bingo
I first saw Mr Bingo speak at the Reasons festival in London. Quite simply one of the best talks I've ever seen – pure entertainment.
- 01.11.13 Hatch Show Print
"We're all carving new blocks all the time, something to add, something new". Great film about the legendary Hatch Show Print who…
- 07.12.12 Inspiration: Angelo Badalamenti on creating the theme for Twin Peaks
I first showed this at my talk on creative process at the Creative Liverpool event on 6th December 2012. For me, it's a wonderful example…
- 02.10.12 Meet Limor 'ladyada' Fried at Adafruit Industries!
Many of the projects I make have Adafruit parts buried inside, but more importantly the amount of stuff I've learned via the Adafruit site…
- 21.09.12 Paul Smith on adding interesting touches
"When you're dealing with simplicity it's really just a matter of how you put things together."
- 12.09.12 Bill Moggridge: designing objects that allow us to grow fonder of them
From Gary Hustwit's Objectified, Bill Moggridge – creator of the first laptop and co-founder of Ideo – who passed away on 8th September 201…
- 11.09.12 Paula Scher: Do What You've Never Done Before
Pentagram's Paula Scher talks about designing the identity for The Highline.
- 24.08.12 An Exploration in Craft: Tanner Goods
Lovely film from Ryan Bush on Portland's Tanner Goods.
- 15.08.12 Kenneth Grange: I love to make things
"I don't know a scallywag in our industry".
- 15.08.12 Tom Dixon: Enjoy every day for what it brings
"I'm only ever interested in what I'm doing next."
- 13.08.12 Armin Hoffman: The whole point was to do it with the minimal of means
Created for the AIGA by Dress Code, wonderful short piece on Armin Hoffman.
- 10.08.12 Ira Glass on Storytelling
"You want to be constantly raising questions." This American Life's Ira Glass talks about the building blocks of storytelling.
- 09.08.12 Karim Rashid: I feel like I need less and less in my life
"I think people who are sacred with an idea, and don't want to be copied, have no other ideas."
- 06.08.12 Bobby Fischer Against the World
After reading the book Bobby Fischer Goes to War a few years ago, I finally got around to watching the HBO documentary Bobby Fischer…
- 06.08.12 Robert Rodriguez Ten Minute Film School
One my favourite books on creative process and the power of just getting on and making stuff is Rodriguez's Rebel Without A Crew. This…
- 03.08.12 Stand and watch and listen: Arup's redevelopment of Kings Cross Station
"Suddenly they stop and they go, wow. And then they start to say 'how did they do this?'". Lovely film from Arup's Nigel Morris…
- 02.08.12 Bill Buxton on Design
I never tire of hearing what Bill Buxton has to say. Skip to 4:00, sit back and take it all in.
- 02.08.12 Title designer Richard Morrison: Simple is Good
"I'm reminded of the story of how Ridley Scott sold Alien with just three words – Jaws in Space."
- 01.08.12 Milton Glaser: I move things around until they look right
"Anything I've really discovered has come through the act of making things."